Sunday, April 4, 2010

Pizza in the Park


Today I ate a pizza while sitting in the park. Oozing with cheese, loaded with pineapple, artichokes, and pepper, and perfectly baked Italian style crust-- it was delicious! Just two weeks ago I decided to limit my dairy intake and eliminate eating meat at all, and there I was in the park starring at a hot cheesy slice of pizza. I bit into the crispy crust, creamy cheese, and sweet vegetables while a little danish boy, blond hair and blue-eyed, stares at me and says, "Pizza". I wondered if he would have done the same thing if I were eating an apple, or a cucumber-- would he call out those things that I was eating? I could see the toddler instantly salivate and I nodded my slice at him as both a kind gesture, and for a 'good luck kid' in this world loaded with bad-for-you food products. Not that I think the particular pizza I was eating was terribly bad for me, but unfortunately I think if I had been eating McDonalds that boy would have been able to call that out too.
On to my second piece, a man rides by on his bike and says, "Velbekomme", which is a danish gesture best translated into the commonly known french phrase, "bon appetit". I again raise my slice to him and kindly say, "tak!" (thanks).
After taking in the scenery of the park, the towers in the distance, and the old European buildings, admiring their architecture and style, I glance down at the top of the pizza box and take note of the picture on it. An old, fat, Italian man grinning from ear to ear as he shoves a pizza into the oven. Go figure he's fat and happy.
Unfortunately, I am also feeling fat, but not happy. I can feel the cheese thick and dense in my stomach and my breath will likely do to my toothbrush as would toxic fumes. What I thought was a wonderfully happy chew in the park eating that pizza was not a complete happy chew. A compete and honest happy chew leaves us greatly satisfied while we eat, and also after we eat. There is no stomach-ache remorse, bloated bellies, or feelings of guilt. So what I desire and think is a real happy chew, is the day we can easily find pizza made with whole grain and flax crust, plenty of fresh local vegetables for toppings, and soy cheese or fresh olive oils. Now that's a happy chew!

No comments:

Post a Comment