Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tofu in Denmark

Over the weekend I ventured out doing what I love to do the most: shop for food. I was on a mission to find tofu (since it is not commonly sold in stores here) so I could experiment making sauces and dressings like vegan fetuccini sauce and tofu mayonnaise for vegan potatoe salad. I went to a Japanese food store that was extremely over priced. Chop sticks, a set of six and very simple, were $13. Next time I'm eating sushi I'm going to take home my chop sticks with me. When I brought my small, non-organic, therefore probably GMO tofu to the counter I asked in my best danish how much it cost. When he responded saying it was $8 I naturally said, "Hvad!" (what)? He said it again in English thinking I didn't understand danish. I said, "oh, I heard you- but that's ridiculous!" I put it back on the shelf and immediately started to think about alternatives to tofu until I get back to Canada where Whole Foods sells non-GMO, organic, fresh tofu for about $2-3.. and double the amount in one pack than what I was going to spend $8 on.

Bravo to tofu for still having a niche market somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment